Tuesday, June 4, 2013

An Ode to the Word of Learning

My About.me bio concludes with a line beginning "I'm into learning..."

This morning, going through and making some edits, I had to wonder if that would mislead people into thinking I was more of a bookworm and less of the social education entrepreneur that I wanted that to imply.

I waffled, and I really feel like education is a dirty word these days.  I don't want to EDUCATE people, I want to facilitate the social experiences that lead them to learning gains. I have to confess though, that I can't think of the right word to blend social facilitation and independent learning into one.  "I'm into realization" sounds too buzzwordy and obscure, to me.

So am I missing the mark?  I think the answer is yes, but with a caveat.  The kind of people I love are life-long learners.  Even deeper than that, they are seekers of truth and experience.  I hope they recognize a kindred soul in those three words, almost as if sharing a fetish or recognizing membership in an exclusive club (of course, learning need not be exclusive, but that's a different post).

The human meta-cognitive ability to learn about learning about learning, has got to trump opposable thumbs. It enables us to develop our brains through a runaway feedback loop, the results of which are the mind-boggling arrays of philosophy, culture, science and technology.  Being into learning is that most sacred of confessions of transcendence.

So here's to the learners.

No comments:

Post a Comment